This is a paid piece from the Great Plains Zoo.
Simplified: It's spooky season at the Great Plains Zoo and the Butterfly House and Aquarium. Here's a look at how you can find Halloween fun two weekends in a row this month.
Why it matters
- The two upcoming events – Spooky Seas at the butterfly house and Zoo Boo at the zoo – are a safe, family friendly way to celebrate the season with trick or treating, crafts, characters and, of course, chances to learn about animals.
- These events are also a great time to take advantage of a Monarch Membership – which includes annual admission to both the zoo and butterfly house. Monarch members are able to attend both Spooky Seas and Zoo Boo at no extra cost.
- Zoo Boo will also include a "Sensory Sunday" event from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 29 in which visitors with sensory needs can come and experience all of the fun without all of the noise.
"It's important for us that everyone gets an opportunity to enjoy the zoo," Director of PR and Marketing Denise DePaolo said.
Tell me more about Spooky Seas
The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 21 at the Butterfly House and Aquarium.
Kids will be able to do crafts, enjoy the animals and see a special appearance from The Little Mermaid.
- Spooky Seas is included with regular admission and for annual members.
Tell me more about Zoo Boo
Zoo Boo is a three-day event on Oct. 27-29.
On Friday, visitors can enjoy the zoo in the evening, with several exhibits staying open late, lights, bubbles, fog, a trick-or-treat trail including 25 businesses and special Halloween decorations in the Komodo dragon exhibit.
Saturday and Sunday, the entire zoo will be open, along with all of the activities listed above for Friday night.
- All three days will feature special entertainment from various popular characters.
- Friday: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tink and Captain Hook
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Red and Green Plumber and Video Game Princess
- Sunday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mistress of Evil and Sleeping Beauty.
Prices for Zoo Boo:
- Admission is included for named individuals on both the Monarch and Gold memberships
- Standard members can get in for $5 paying in advance and $7 at the door
- All tiers of membership can purchase guest tickets for $5 in advance and $7 at the door.
- Nonmembers can purchase tickets here for $18 for adults and $14 for youth.