It's officially December, and the first week of the month is packed with things to keep you busy. From shopping to volunteering, kick off the holiday season with whatever event brings you joy.
- Grow your heart three sizes.* The Sioux Falls Convention Center is turning into a winter wonderland fundraiser for 10 local nonprofits on Dec. 15 for "Grouchmas." This 21+ event will have delicious food, chances to win prizes and a game of "The Grouch is Right." Get your tickets here.
- Play before you parade. Stop by the Children's Museum in Brookings for a pre-parade party on Friday at 5 p.m. Write letters to Santa and get some play in before the parade. Details here.
- See the lights. Brookings' Parade of lights starts Friday at 7 p.m. Head downtown to Main Avenue and watch the parade celebrating the magic of Christmas. Details here.
- Final free first Friday. Head to the Washington Pavilion for the last free first Friday of the year to get free access to the museum and science center. Details here.
- See Santa and the Grinch. Santa will be visiting the Great Plains Zoo on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the Grinch will also make a visit. Deliver your letters and take a photo, free with Zoo admission. Details here.
- Shop local and handmade. Find gifts and more at the 605 Made Holiday Market at Cherapa Place on Saturday at 10 a.m. Details here.
- Cookies and Cocoa. Make your way to the Museum of Visual Materials on Saturday at 10:30 for a holiday family event. Take a photo with Santa and enter the holiday raffle. Details here.
- Socialize at the Siouxland Library. Tuesday at 6 p.m. the downtown library branch will host a social for recipe swaps, crafts, snacks and more. Details here.
- Give back. On Wednesday and Thursday, join Sioux Falls Cares to help provide food, clothing, toys and necessities to families in need this holiday season. Info on volunteering and donating here.
*Denotes a paid event listing. Want to see your event featured? Email email@example.com.