Simplified: Fall is in full swing and local pumpkin patches are starting to open. Here's a few places to find your pumpkins this year.
TL;DR – Here's a few quick links for places to pick pumpkins:
- That Pickin' Patch in Humbolt
- Riverview Christmas Tree Farm in Canton
- Cherry Rock Farms in Brandon
- Country Apple Orchard in Harrisburg
Tell me more about these patches
That Pickin Patch is a "mom-and-pop" pumpkin patch said owner Chris Kasten.
- Kasten described their patch as a "no-frills" experience.
- There are two patches to choose from, a you-pick line up and a reservation field with pumpkins and gourds still on the vine.
- They work on an honor system, so prices are marked and you drop cash in their box, or you can get assistance with PayPal, check or cards.
- There's also a petting zoo and eggs available on the lot.
"My kids are the sixth generation on the same farm," Kasten said. "I started out when I was a little kid."
With free admission and more than just pumpkins, the Riverview Christmas Tree Farm in Canton is celebrating the season through their annual pumpkin festival.
- There's a store, food vendors, a beer and wine garden, and music.
- There's no entry fee to the festival, but the pumpkins and most vendors charge for the experiences.
- You can take a hayride to the patch and pick your own pumpkin. The ride will drop you off at a pay booth.
- There's also a haunted trail event on Oct. 1 and Oct. 7 from 7-9:30 p.m., but you do have to buy tickets.
Cherry Rock Farms is another family owned farm and picking patch.
- There's a store with fresh produce, plants, honey and more.
- You can take a wagon out to pick your own pumpkins and gourds, and they'll give you a total back at the produce shop.
- The experience is pretty hands-off, and there's no entrance fee to the patch.
The Country Apple Orchard has pumpkins, apples and attractions.
- There's games, bouncy pillows, hay rides, games, a corn maze and more.
- You have to pay the entry fee of $14 for everyone over 35" but can also just pick apples and pay-per-pick.
- The pumpkins, store, corn maze and vendors are also available outside of the entry fee.