Kayla Huizing runs SoDak Stays with her husband Albert Huizing. We chatted with her about the local Airbnb and short-term rental scene.
Answers are edited for length and clarity.
Tell me about yourself. Where are you from? How did you end up in Sioux Falls? What's your family like?
I was born on a farm just outside of Inwood, Iowa. I attended Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa were I met my now husband Albert.
After graduation we got married and moved to Sioux Falls as I had gotten a position as the Greater Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2021, we had our first child – our son, Henry and we are expecting our second, a girl, in early January.
We’re all about simplicity here. Can you describe how short term rentals work in 10 words or less?
STR’s provide furnished living spaces for guests when they need it.
How did you end up in the short-term rental world?
We always knew we wanted to start a business, but would have never guessed that it would be in the short-term-rental world.
We bought our first home in 2019 and quickly realized that we didn’t use over half of the space in the house.
- In March of 2020 we decided to rent out our basement on Airbnb.
It was wildly successful and we loved the thrill of getting bookings and preparing for guests.
- Now we are managing over 16 properties in the Sioux Falls area.
How do we "get smart" about short-term rentals?
It’s important for guests to know that Airbnbs are very different from hotels.
- Each have their own unique characteristics and quirks – which is what makes it so fun.
- To get the most out of the experience, guests should feel free to ask their hosts about their favorite local spots to visit and restaurants to eat at. We hosts love showing off our city to guests.
What sort of regulations do you have to follow to rent a property?
In order to short-term-rent a property, hosts need to apply for a permit with the City of Sioux Falls.
- Hosts also need to get a sales tax license and report your income with the South Dakota Department of Revenue.
Other than that, there are no regulations with the city or state.
Which SoDak Stays property is your favorite?
My favorite property changes every week! I love that each property has their own unique characteristics.
My current favorite is one that we recently launched called “The Brady Haus." It’s a Brady-Bunch inspired home that brings you right back to the 70’s.
Is there anything else you want people to know about you or short term rentals?
With the combination of the local hosts recommendations and the Midwest hospitality, short-term rentals are a great avenue for showing off our great community to out-of-town guests who could potentially turn into Sioux Falls citizens.