This is a paid piece from Midco.
Simplified: Midco is rolling out new controllable and customizable Wi-Fi just in time to allow parents to set screen time limits as kids head back to school. Here's what you need to know about what's new.
Why it matters
- Historically, the extent of Wi-Fi features has been the ability to turn it on or turn it off. Now, using advances in cloud-based technology – and the latest Wi-Fi tech – Midco has launched a Wi-Fi that does more.
- Parents will have the ability to set Wi-Fi limits on a by-device or by-user basis, meaning you can do things as specific as turning off wireless internet access to a gaming console.
- The new Midco Wi-Fi also comes with the latest in security. That means not only are your devices more safe from malware or other unwanted intruders, but users can also have more control over the types of content their kids can access online.
"We're trying to empower customers to manage their Wi-Fi more than they ever have before," said Oliver Chacon, Midco's director of products residential.
Tell me more about the new features
Ok, wait, don't I already have Midco Wi-Fi?
- You may have a Wi-Fi modem from Midco, but what we're talking about is next-level. Now, you can get Wi-Fi and the ability to expand and control it from one provider.
Here's a breakdown of some of what's new:
- Parental control: Parents can filter content available on certain devices, limit screen time, set ad blockers, turn off Wi-Fi for certain users or devices as needed, and monitor usage to know when kids are going online.
- Increased security: Get better protection against malware, spyware, bots and more. It's like a security blanket for your household, Chacon said.
- Customize guest access: Having a game night? Folks over for dinner? You can provide guest login credentials, so you never have to give out your personal Wi-Fi password again. You can also limit guests to access only certain devices in addition to other layered features.
- Coverage for the whole home: Midco already offers ways to boost coverage room-to-room, but the newest Wi-Fi service makes it easier to spread coverage throughout your home – without contacting support or scheduling a tech call. Customers can plug in pods in different rooms to strengthen the mesh network across the house. And, the Wi-Fi is smart enough to seamlessly transition devices from one pod to another as you move throughout the house.
- Easier troubleshooting: The new Wi-Fi also allows users to check performance for each device. For example, you'll be able to see if your network is down, or if, maybe, it's just your laptop that's not connecting.
When will this be available?
It's available now. Any Midco customer in Sioux Falls can upgrade to the new Wi-Fi anytime.
"We do recognize that we have a great network outside the home," said Pao Lo, vice president of network engineering. "I think taking it an extra step by making sure the network inside the home runs smoothly is going to give our customers a better experience overall."
New and existing customers can learn more and get connected to the new smart, adaptable Wi-Fi on the Midco website.