Simplified: It's the beautiful time of year between sweltering heat and snow, and there are a lot of fall activities to pack into the season. Here's a "simplified" roundup of where to find all sorts of fall fun in the region.
Where can I see fall leaves?
- Palisades State Park in Garretson
- Newton Hills State Park in Canton
- Good Earth State Park in Sioux Falls
If you're up for a bit of a drive:
Where can I find pumpkins?
- County Apple Orchard in Harrisburg
- Riverview Christmas Tree Farm in Canton
- That Pickin' Patch in Humboldt
Where can I find family friendly events?
It's worth noting that most of the stuff on this list is family friendly, but here are a couple of upcoming events specific to kids:
- Spooky Saturday at the Downtown Library on Oct. 21 will have activities geared toward elementary school-aged kids
- Spooky Science at the Washington Pavilion on Oct. 21 promises fun for all ages
- Pumpkin painting at the Caille Branch Library on Oct. 24 will cater toward kids birth to age 5
- The Heartland Country Corn Maze in Harrisburg is open until Oct. 22.
- Halloween at Lake Lorraine runs 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday Oct. 21.