Your (mostly) comprehensive guide of resources available in the Sioux Falls area, compiled by reporter Danielle Ferguson.

To register to vote:

First, check to see if you’re already registered (or if your registration needs updating) using the state’s voter registration portal.

To register to vote in Sioux Falls, you can stop by the county auditor’s office in either Lincoln or Minnehaha County (depending on where you live). You can also register at the following locations:

  • City Clerk’s Office at Carnegie Town Hall, 235 W. 10th St.
  • City Finance Office at City Hall, 224 W. 9th St.
  • Driver’s license station
  • Department of Human Service offices
  • Military recruitment offices
  • Secretary of State’s Office

Find details on updating an existing registration here.

A driver’s license:

The Sioux Falls driver’s license exam station is at 2501 West Russell Street. Phone: 605-773-6883

To register your vehicle:

Vehicle titles and registration are handled through your county office.

  • For Minnehaha County, you can call 605-367-4211 or visit 415 N. Dakota Ave.
  • For Lincoln County, call the Treasurer’s Office at 605-764-5701 or visit 104 N. Main St. Suite 100 in Canton.

To register your pet:

Pet licenses can be purchased at any veterinarian's office in the city, the Law Enforcement Center and the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.

To report a crime:

Of course, if it’s an emergency, call 911. But a few other non-emergent options include the Sioux Falls Police Department non-emergency line: 605-367-7000; CrimeStoppers at 605-367-7007 to anonymously report information or report your non-emergent crime online.

A ride:

Sioux Area Metro, or SAM, as we Sioux Fallsians like to call it, is our local bus system. It runs Monday to Friday: 5:45 a.m. to 9:15 p.m., Saturday: 7:45 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. and not on Sundays.

  • Riders can purchase a single trip for $1.50, a day pass for $3, a 30-day pass for $30 and other options.
  • Youth ride for free during the school year, and persons over age 65 and those with disabilities are eligible for a discounted rate.
  • Find more info, including routes, here.

Addiction support:

  • FaceItTogether is a peer addiction counseling flexible program that also offers help for families of loved ones with addiction. Find it at 5020 S Tennis Lane. Phone: 855-539-9375
  • Carroll Institute has treatment, diversion, DUI school, prevention programs, different levels of outpatient treatment and more at its location at 310 South First Avenue. Phone: 888-254-4543. More information here.
  • Keystone has drug and alcohol inpatient and outpatient services, adolescent treatment, military treatment, Native American programming and family therapy. Phone: 866-308-1168

Mental health support:

  • Avera Behavioral offers mental health and addiction services. Multiple locations and treatment programs are available, and you can find more info here. Phone: 605-322-4005
  • Sanford Behavioral also has mental health and addiction services across multiple locations and treatment programs. Details here. Phone: 605-312-3000
  • National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI South Dakota) has mental illness, addiction recovery, family therapy, help if a loved one is arrested and more. Phone: 605-271-1871
  • Volunteers of America has a family crisis intervention line at 605-366-6757.

Rent assistance:

  • Minnehaha County Human Services provides rental assistance to eligible residents. The office encourages filling out an online application. Or, you can swing by the office Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
  • Sioux Falls Housing and Redevelopment Commission has seven programs, such as Section 8 Multi-family Public Housing, Veterans Administration Supportive Housing, to provide financial assistance to households. More details here.
  • The Salvation Army provides emergency rent and utilities financial assistance, back to school assistance, the Coats for All program, Pathway of Hope - a financial counseling program, and more. Connect here.
  • The Community Outreach has housing assistance and utility cut-off prevention assistance, transportation assistance, car repair assistance, mentoring, crisis care and rental programs.
  • Connect with the Department of Social Services Low Income Energy Assistance Program by calling 800-233-8503.
  • The St. Vincent de Paul Society also helps with rent, utilities and prescriptions. Phone: 605-338-4111.
  • Interlakes Community Action can help with utilities, weatherization and Head Start. Phone: 605-334-2808.

Food assistance:

Feeding South Dakota has assisted more than 37,000 individuals with programs such as the food bank, mobile food pantry, child hunger and commodity programs. The website lists dates and locations for food pickup.  Phone: 605-335-0364

The Banquet at 900 E. 8th St. offers a free breakfast and supper every weekday and lunch on Saturdays.  Phone: 605-335-7066

  • Meal times: Monday - Friday: Breakfast 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.; Dinner 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday Lunch 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • The Banquet West location at 710 N. Marion Rd has dinner Monday - Friday 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

The Bishop Dudley Hospitality House is an emergency shelter for individuals without a home. The shelter’s daily lunch is open to those who need it in the community. Phone: 605-809-8424

  • Meal time: Monday through Friday lunch at 11:30 a.m., Saturday and Sunday at 3:30 p.m.

The Union Gospel Mission also has daily meals at 7 a.m., noon and 6 p.m. at 220 N. Weber Ave. Phone: 605-334-6732

Faith Temple Church does a food giveaway most Fridays at 4 p.m. at the WH Lyons Fairgrounds Nordstrom Johnson Building. The group’s Facebook page lists the most up-to-date information about that week’s food giveaway.

Local food resources are also updated regularly at

  • You can also find help through the state’s Department of Social Services, which can help get you connected with programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. Phone: 605-367-5444.
  • The state Department of Health can help connect you with the Women Infants and Children (WIC) program. Begin your application online here.

Child care:

  • Call the 211 Helpline Center, which can connect you with available and appropriate child care.

To register your kid for school:

Contact the Sioux Falls School District at 605-367-7900 and find more information on registration here.

Help finding a job:

If you’re looking for local job opportunities, try Keloland employment, the Department of Labor Sioux Falls office (605-367-5300) or the Goodwill Job Center (605-357-6171).

Places like ShortStaffed (605-799-7575) and People Ready (605) 330-9244) can help you find more immediate work.

If you need further help, the Multi-Cultural Center of Sioux Falls offers job coaching and a free closet of professional clothes for people entering or reentering the workforce. The center also offers language classes. Phone: 605-367-7401

  • Dress for Success also helps women with job coaching and attire.

Help buying a house:

  • The South Dakota Housing Development Authority’s first-time homebuyer program can help get a low interest fixed rate mortgage loan and cash assistance for homebuyers purchasing their first home.
  • You could be eligible if you haven’t purchased a home in the last three years, have an income at or below the state income limits and the home is less than $300,000. Those income limits can be found on the South Dakota Housing Development Authority website.
  • The South Dakota Real Estate Commission has a great guide for buyers and sellers, and includes questions to consider before making any big decisions, such as location, how to finance the home, if there are any zoning restrictions, whether the home is in a flood plain and much more (like, 40 pages more). Find the Real Estate Commission Consumer Guide here.

Anything else?

The 2-1-1 helpline is a great place to start if you need help. Their team will connect you with resources in the area.

If you need questions answered about local government policies or happenings, you can also reach out to City Hall. Or, hey, drop a line to your local journalists (

Liked this?

See the rest of the 2022 Simplified Welcome Guide here.

Check it out.